The following page describes how Orange fruit can help you to fight various diseases like Fevers, Dyspepsia, Constipation, Diseases of Bone and Teeth, Children’s Ailments, Heart Disease, Difficult Expectorations, Acne. Read the following passages about Orange fruit advantages and find Orange effects on your body-
Orange Health Benefits
1. Benefits of Orange in Fevers or Treatment of Fever with Orange- Orange is excellent food in all types of fever when the digestive power of the body is seriously hampered. The fever patient suffers from blood poisoning called toxaemia and the lack of saliva coats his tongue and often destroys his thirst for water as well as his desire for food. The agreeable flavour of orange juice helps greatly in overcoming these drawbacks. Orange juice is the most ideal liquid food in fevers like typhoid, tuberculosis and measles. It gives energy, increases urinary output and promotes body resistance against infections, thereby, hastening recovery.
2. Benefits of Orange in Dyspepsia or Treatment of Dyspepsia with Orange- The orange is an effective food remedy in chronic dyspepsia. It gives rest to the digestive organs and supplies nutrition in a most easily assimilable form. It also stimulates the flow of digestive juices thereby improving digestion and increasing appetite. It creates a suitable condition for the development of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
3. Benefits of Orange in Constipation or Treatment of Constipation with Orange- The orange is beneficial in the treatment of constipation. Taking one or two oranges at bedtime and again on rising in the morning is an excellent way of stimulating bowel action. The general stimulating influence of orange juice excites peristaltic activity and helps prevent the accumulation of food residue in the colon, which leads to putrefaction and auto-intoxication.’
4. Benefits of Orange in Diseases of Bone and Teeth or Treatment of Bone and Teeth with Orange- This fruit, being an excellent source of calcium and vitamin C, is valuable in the diseases of the bone and teeth. Disorders in the structure of the teeth usually result from a shortage of vitamin C and calcium and these can be overcome by sufficient intake of orange. Dr Harke, a Chicago physician, has claimed to have cured several patients of pyorrhoea and dental caries by giving them orange juice in large amounts.
5. Benefits of Orange in Children’s Ailments or Treatment of Children’s Ailments with Orange- Orange juice is considered an excellent food for infants who are not fed on breast milk. They should be given 15 ml. to 120 ml. of orange juice daily according to age. It prevents scurvy and rickets and helps growth. This juice can also be given with beneficial results to more grown-up babies whose normal development is unsatisfactory. They should be given 60 ml. to 120 ml. of orange juice daily.
6. Benefits of Orange in Heart Disease or Treatment of Heart Disease with Orange- Orange juice, sweetened with honey, is highly beneficial in heart diseases. In cardiac conditions like coronary ischaemia and infarction, when only liquid food is advisable. The use of orange juice with honey is very safe energy-giving liquid food.
7. Benefits of Orange in Difficult Expectorations or Treatment of Expectorations with Orange- The use of orange juice mixed with a pinch of salt and a tablespoonful of honey is an effective food remedy for tuberculosis, asthma, common cold, bronchitis and other conditions of cough associated with difficult expectorations. Due to its saline action in the lungs, it eases expectorations and protects from-secondary infection.
8. Benefits of Orange in Acne or Treatment of Acne with Orange- The orange peel is valuable in the treatment of pimples and acne. The peel, pounded well with water on a piece of stone, should be applied to the affected areas. It is said to be more effective if it is pounded with rainwater.
The orange is used in a variety of ways. It is usually taken as a dessert fruit. .Large quantities of the fruit are used for making orange juice, which is canned. It is also made into squashes. Oranges are also used for marmalades and jams. The essential oil from the rind of the fruit is valued in perfumery.