The following page describes how Lime fruit can help you to fight various diseases like Scurvy, Digestive Disorders, Constipation, Peptic Ulcers, Common Cold, Tonsillitis, Gums, Gout, Eye Disorders, Bleeding Piles, Cystitis, Scorpion Sting, Obesity, Beauty Aid. Read the following passages about Lime fruit advantages and find Lime effects on your body-
Lime – Health Benefits
1. Benefits of Lime in Scurvy or Treatment of Scurvy with Lemon- As a rich source of vitamin C, the lime has been regarded as a food of exceptional therapeutic value. It has saved the lives of innumerable crews of ocean-going vessels from scurvy. The Boards of Trade regulations have made it compulsory for the crew to have a supply of lime juice when vegetables are not available.
2. Benefits of Lime in Digestive Disorders or Treatment of Digestive Disorders with Lime- Lime is considered highly beneficial in the treatment of digestive disorders. A teaspoonful of fresh lime juice should be mixed with equal quantity of honey. It should be licked to stop bilious vomiting, indigestion, burning in the chest due to high acidity in the stomach and excessive accumulation of saliva in the mouth. A teaspoonful of lime juice mixed with water and a pinch of soda bicarb makes an excellent remedy for reducing the acidity in the stomach. It also acts as a powerful carminative in case of indigestion. It produces a marked sedative effect in the stomach due to the release of carbonic acid gas.
3. Benefits of Lime in Constipation or Treatment of Constipation with Lime- The lime juice is of great value in constipation, when it is taken as the first thing in the morning in a glass of warm water. In chronic cases, it helps remove the disorder by promoting biliary secretion from the liver.
4. Benefits of Lime in Peptic Ulcers or Treatment of Peptic Ulcers with Lime- The citric acid in limes has an alkaline reaction in the system. This acid together with the mineral salts present in the juice helps the digestion by assisting in the absorption of fats and alcohol and by neutralising excessive bile produced by the liver. The juice counteracts the effects of greasy food and reduces gastric acidity. It is, therefore, especially valuable in the treatment of peptic ulcers.
5. Benefits of Lime in Common Cold or Treatment of Common Cold with Lime- Lime is ideal in all types of fevers and cold if taken well-diluted. Vitamin C rich lime juice increases resistance, reduces toxicity and cuts down the course of the illness. Unless one is especially allergic to citrus fruits, one should not avoid lime in cold. A glass of diluted lime juice prepared in warm water, to which a teaspoonful of honey is added, is an ideal remedy for cold and dry cough.
6. Benefits of Lime in Tonsillitis or Treatment of Tonsillitis with Lime- Lime has proved effective in the treatment of acute tonsillitis. A fresh lime squeezed in a glass of warm water, with four teaspoonfuls of honey and a quarter teaspoonful of common salt, should be sipped slowly in such cases.
7. Benefits of Lime in Gums or Treatment of Gums with Lime- Lime is valuable in swollen gums. A glass of diluted fresh lime juice mixed with a pinch of rock salt should be taken in this condition. The squeezed lime rind should also be rubbed over the gums, before throwing it away.
8. Benefits of Lime in Gout or Treatment of Gout with Lime- The fruit has been used as a remedy in gout and arthritis since long. Vitamin C is known to prevent and cure sore joints by strengthening the connective tissues of the body. The citric acid found in the lime is a solvent of the uric acid which is the primary cause of gout and other diseases of this nature.
9. Benefits of Lime in Eye Disorders or Treatment of Eye Disorders with Lime- Lime juice is valuable in eye disorders. Few drops of warm lime-juice diluted with water should be instilled in the eyes in case of conjunctivitis. Its regular use with pure rose water in the ratio of 1:4 is helpful in preventing old-age cataract.
10. Benefits of Lime in Bleeding Piles or Treatment of Bleeding Piles with Lime- A small lime should be split into two and sprinkled with rock salt powder inside. The lime is then tucked inside the mouth and the juice slowly taken in. Lime juice, with its antihaemorrhagic properties and rock salt rich in magnesium sulphate, checks bleeding, help good bowel movement and gradually shrink the pile masses.
11. Benefits of Lime in Cystitis or Treatment of Cystitis with Lime- Lime has proved valuable in cystitis—i.e., inflammation of the urinary bladder. A teaspoonful of lime juice should be put in 180 gm. of boiling water. It should then be allowed to cool and 60 gm. of this water should be given every two hours in this condition. It gives relief to burning sensation and also stops bleeding in cystitis.
12. Benefits of Lime in Scorpion Sting or Treatment of Scorpion Sting with Lime- When externally applied; fresh lime is highly beneficial in the treatment of scorpion sting. A crystal of potassium permanganate should be put over it. It will have an effect in ten minutes.
13. Benefits of Lime in Obesity or Treatment of Obesity with Lime- The lime juice is also excellent for weight reduction. It has a sedative effect on the nerves. Fresh juice of a lime mixed in a glassful of water and sweetened with honey should be taken every morning on empty stomach in case of obesity. It will reduce the weight in two to three months time. One should, however, take a low-calorie diet to get the desired result.
14. Benefits of Lime in Beauty Aid or Treatment of Beauty Aid with Lime- Lime can be used as a beauty aid. A fresh lime may be squeezed in a fully-boiled glassful of whole milk. A teaspoonful of glycerine may be added to it. It ‘should be left for half an hour and then applied on the face, hands and feet before retiring at night. This application every night will help one to look young and beautiful. The application can also cure pimple, cracked soles and palms, dryness of the face and hand and protect the face from hot and cold winds and sun-burn. Massaging few drops of lime juice with amla juice every night before going to bed, stops falling of hair, lengthens them and prevents them from premature greying. It also cures dandruff.
Limes should not be used in excess. The alkaline salts of the lime juice neutralize the free uric acid and precipitate it. It has; therefore, been found that its excessive use may cause the formation of renal calculi. Excessive sucking of fresh lime is also bad for teeth as the acid damages the delicate enamel of the teeth and makes them sensitive. Its excessive use of weakens digestion and impoverishes the blood.