The following page describes how Bitter Gourd vegetable can help you to fight various diseases like Diabetes, Piles, Blood Disorders, Respiratory Disorders, Alcoholism, Cholera. Read the following passages about Bitter Gourd vegetable advantages and find Bitter Gourd effects on your body-
Bitter Gourd – Health Benefits
1. Benefits of Bitter Gourd in Diabetes or Treatment of Diabetes with Bitter Gourd- The bitter gourd is specifically used as a folk medicine for diabetes. Recent researches by a team of British doctors have established that it contains a hypoglycaemic or insulin-like principle, designated as ‘plant-insulin’, which has been found highly beneficial in lowering the blood and urine sugar levels. It should, therefore, be included liberally in the diet of the diabetic. For better results, the diabetic should take the juice of about four or five fruits every morning on an empty stomach. The seeds of bitter gourd can be added to food in the powdered form. Diabetics can also use bitter gourd in the form of decoction by boiling the pieces in water or in the form of dry powder. A majority of diabetics usually suffer from malnutrition as they are usually under-nourished. Bitter gourd is rich in all the essential vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin A, Bi, B2, C and Iron, its regular use prevents many complications such as hypertension, eye complications, neuritis and defective metabolism of carbohydrates. It increases the body’s resistance against infection.
2. Benefits of Bitter Gourd in Piles of Treatment of Piles with Bitter Gourd- Juice of the fresh leaves of bitter gourd is valuable in piles. Three teaspoonfuls of leaf juice mixed with a glassful of buttermilk should be taken every morning for about a month in this condition. A paste of the roots of bitter gourd plant can also be applied over piles with beneficial results.
3. Benefits of Bitter Gourd in Blood Disorders of Treatment of Blood Disorders with Bitter Gourd- Bitter gourd is highly beneficial in the treatment of blood disorders like blood boils, scabies, itching, psoriasis, ring-worm and other fungal diseases. A cupful of fresh juice of bitter gourd mixed with a teaspoonful of lime juice should be taken, sip by sip, on empty stomach daily for four to six months in these conditions. Its regular use in endemic regions of leprosy acts as preventive medicine.
4. Benefits of Bitter Gourd in Respiratory Disorders of Treatment of Respiratory Disorders with Bitter Gourd- Bitter gourd plant roots are used in folk medicine for respiratory disorders from ancient times. A teaspoonful of the root paste mixed with an equal amount of honey or tu/si leaf juice, given once every night for a month acts as an excellent medicine for asthma, bronchitis, pharyngitis, colds and rhinitis
5. Benefits of Bitter Gourd in Alcoholism of Treatment of Alcoholism with Bitter Gourd- Leaf juice is beneficial in the treatment of alcoholism. It is an antidote for alcohol intoxication. It is also useful in liver damage due to alcoholism
6. Benefits of Bitter Gourd in Cholera of Treatment of Cholera with Bitter Gourd- Fresh juice of leaves of bitter gourd is also an effective medicine in early stages of cholera and other types of diarrhoea during summer Two teaspoonfuls of this juice mixed with equal quantity of white onion juice and a teaspoonful of lime juice should be given in these conditions.
The bitter gourd is cooked and eaten as a vegetable in India and the Far East. The bitterness is reduced by steeping the peeled fruit in saltwater before cooking. It is also used in pickles and as an ingredient of curries. The seeds of the ripe fruit are used as a condiment in India. The tender shoots and leaves are used as spinach.